The Problem: Lack of Access to Safe Drinking Water
Did you know that each year, children miss 443 million days of school due to water-related illness? Every 20 seconds, a child dies from a water-related illness, and more than 783 million people do not have access to an improved water source. Hundreds of millions more use municipal water systems that are poorly maintained and deliver contaminated water. Without safe water, there is no sustainable future for much of the developing world. Safe water is vital for economic growth and, in many nations, water shortage is a cause of violent conflict.
How can you be part of the solution? Two Ways!
CELF and our partner Vestergaard Frandsen, maker of the Lifestraw® water-filtration system, aim to inspire students to learn about this global issue and empower them to enact positive change.
1) DONATE TO SAVE LIVES
Participate in the CELF LifeStraw® "100 Schools" Water Campaign
CURRENT CAMPAIGN DRIVE: KENYA
- You and your school or community group can help bring clean and safe drinking water to children and communities around the world.
- Raise money by initiating fundraising activities of your choice.
- Each tax-deductible donation of $350 delivers a school or community-based LifeStraw® Community filter that will provide up to 100,000 liters of safe water, providing more than 50 students drinking water for up to four years.
- Donations will be pooled with other donors, so any amount is welcome.
- Submit tax-deductible donations online or
- Send your check payable to: CELF LifeStraw Campaign
- Mail to: CELF, PO Box 412, Chappaqua, NY 10514
Contact us for ideas and support for a LifeStraw® Donation program in your community. Share your success. We’d love to hear your stories and see your photos.
2) EDUCATE TO SAVE LIVES
High School Students: Become a CELF Student Ambassador and help educate your community about the fresh water crisis. Learn about sustainability concepts and related water-issues. Represent CELF and demonstrate the LifeStraw® at local, regional and national events on water-related health, economic & social issues. Learn More
Teachers and Community Leaders: Use our Water Resource Guide to bring awareness of the Freshwater Water crisis to your community. Explore water-related issues from multiple perspectives.
With your help, families around the world will have access to clean drinking water. The LifeStraw removes 99.9999% of waterborne bacteria, 99.999% of viruses, and 99.9% of waterborne protozoan parasites preventing waterborne illnesses - without the use of harmful chemicals.
See our Facebook Page for more stories.
Read the Vestergaard Impact Report to see how past donations have helped students.